Free Public Library of Philadelphia

I had been postponing the idea of walking to Philadelphia's Public Library and picking up a membership for a long time. Membership was free. That was not enough motivation I suppose, because it was a good couple of months before I walked through their doors. A simple case of laziness, I suspect.

I had been to the library a couple of times with Manasa. We sometimes go over in the afternoon to return a couple of books or DVDs her husband had borrowed. The frequent walks to the hallways of the library had a quiet influence over me. It was only a matter of time until I showed my photo id and residence proof and got my library access. The library is just a ten minute walk from my place of work in Centre City. 

I  picked by a Ruth Rendell mystery and Sherlock Holmes and the King's Governess (2005) ,  by Barrie Roberts. For the visual distraction, I selected Notes on a Scandal starring the intimidating, Judi Dench and the sexy Kate Blanchet; the powerful story of love and its trappings in Love In the Time of Cholera (El amor en los tiempos del cólera), based on the book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez with musician Shakira rendering two of the movie's scores - the lead actors with the dashing Benjamin Bratt, the very strikingly beautiful Giovanna Mezzogiorno and the very talented Javier Bardem; and finally wrapping up with a romantic comedy with a class British act in Love Actually.

I had rediscovered my parallel universe.  

Comments

Popular Posts