Crowded buses and men who refuse to move their butt

Getting to work really has my nerves on edge. I have just two buses that take me to my destination and most often, it is crowded. To make matters worse, you have a bunch of young men or old men or just mean old jerks occupying the last row of seats, meant for ladies. If you are lucky, some well behaved chap might actually offer you a seat. If it is your luckiest day, then you will have the conductor screaming his head off at those butts. But on most days, you would actually want to whack these guys because no matter how much you scream, they just go ahead and pretend that you never existed. No one helps you. Everyone just sits there, watching the fun or just keep staring at you. But the best is yet to come.
Some women do not even assert their rights. They stand through the entire leg of the journey with their joints aching. They are scared to approach these buttheads, and instead wait for someone else to do the talking.
I could not tolerate it anymore, not that I have ever tolerated such lousy behaviour. I just adopt a real mean voice and usually it works. I also decided that these women should be fighting their own battle. I was fed up with both the parties. The meek and the mean.
Would the government be kind enough to pass a law that flogs men for occupying the ladies seat, or maybe parade them down the street clad in saree and jewellery.
As for you women who do not open their mouth, you bloody well speak up or go on, suffer in silence like you have done in the past.
(Finch stn in the cartoon, is actually a station on the Toronto subway route.)

Comments

supernova said…
I can totally understand your anger! What does a woman have to do to get some respect in crowded buses!?! I so hate travelling in buses during peak hours; I've lost count of the number of times I've had to resort to talking in a stern voice or shouting to get myself understood! Can't you find a van service or car pool or something? It'll make your travel so much smoother!
AquaM said…
Thx Supernova. There are days when I get lucky and get free rides bothways.
BUt the non-lucky days are every commuter's nightmare. No car pool either. Im stuck without those rides. The share autos kill u by overstuffing the auto and suffocating us.
Hmm, hopefully I'll find a way out soon.
supernova said…
Oh yeah, those share autos in Chennai are a veritable nightmare! When I was working in EK, a bunch of us had gotten together and employed a van service; thought it might work for you too... :-)
AquaM said…
thank you. I guess u were one lucky bunch.
Im on my own here girl:(

Popular Posts