VIjayadashami in Mylapore

Durgo pujo aside, I love walking around the streets of Mylapore during the Vijayadashami festival. Suddenly, the whole region comes alive with people screaming bargain prices, sellers trying to sell their wares at competitive rates, cows mooing, dogs barking, the mud molded idols gleaming in their new coat of paint – the whole scene is breathtaking. Mylapore has managed to retain its old world charm inspite of a technology driven era. I have also spent my school days around the Kapaleeshwar temple, Vijaya Book Stores, Rasi Silk House and not to forget Karpagam Mess. During this season of Vijayadashami, a chance invitation from a friend of mine who had flown in from Canada, took me back to the bylanes of Mylapore. And I was only too shutter-happy to make that trip to visit my friend.





Comments

Popular Posts