A surprise visit from Mumbai and a book raid

My brother suddenly called yesterday morning and posed a couple of weird questions to my mom. His work had kept him away from home for a good three months now, and my mom was reallly looking forward to seeing him during the pujo holidays. My brother convinced her about his change of plans, except that I was smarter than he gave me credit for. I sensed that he must be on his way home and called him back to confront him. I was delighted to know that I was right, but the only thing my brother kept harping about was an immediate visit to Aries Book Store. He had, since the last time I introduced him to the book shop, fallen hopelessly in love with it.

We headed out later that evening, but not without warning my mom that we would be spending a good couple of hours in the shop. (Much to AFJ's disappointment - for one, she wanted to go to the book store and second, I was supposed to help her with the kids at the Puja Pandhal.)

We got home a treasure trove of books, some of which my brother regards as a collector's item. So here is the list (not the complete list, mind you):

Don McCullin - India
A photojournalist turned travel writer, McCullin's work as his peers have quoted, have a sense of gentleness that flow through the death, degradation and squalor of the surroundings. While I am not sure why the firangs are obsessed with India's dark side, I am quite forgiving of McCullin, for the simple reason, his work brings hope in the midst of hardships. He has tried to turn the spotlight on the heart of mankind rather than portray India as a polluted, garbage ridden country like many others have done in the past.

Tibet: The Roof Of The World
Text by Maria Antonia Sironi Diemberger with Introduction by Kurt Diemberger

Bombay: A Contemporary Account of Mumbai
Namas Bhojani and Arun Katiyar

Himalaya *****
Eric Valli with Introduction by Anne de Sales

Touching my Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey To The Top of Everest
Jamling Tenzing Norgay with Broughton Coburn
Foreword by His Holiness The Dalai Lama


My Path Leads To Tibet
Sabriye Tenberken - The Inspiring Story of How One Young Blind Woman Brought Hope to the Blind Children of Tibet

Five Equations That Changed The World
Michael Guillen

A Traveller's Life
Eric Newby

The English Patient
Michael Ondaatje

The Map That Changed The World
Simon Winchester

Journeys: An Anthology
Edited by Robyn Davidson

In The Name Of Salome
Julia Alvarez

Letters Between A Father And Son
V.S.Naipaul
*******The book is one of the prized picks and offers a fantastic look at the Himalayas and its people.

Comments

sanchapanzo said…
Guess, I know for sure
"The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje" must be good. Real good movie that.
Srivilasica said…
Happy you are getting out and about, and blogging too! After a huge overdose of java! couldn't find a good travel agent for you though, sorry! Still trying! Meanwhile, enjoy your time of peace! Happy holidays!
delhidreams said…
have a nice read!!!
Anonymous said…
Gotta admit, some of the books are collector's items -- I don't have a copy of my own book anymore:) Enjoy!

Popular Posts