Monday, May 29, 2017

Juggling Priorities

I have been trying to get a better handle on all the activities I am involved in. Over time, I realized there was too much on my plate and I got worn out. My art classes are going on full swing and I'm trying to keep the pace with my classical guitar class as well. I am committed to my art more than ever. I just finished two watercolor paintings, which I absolutely enjoyed. I took this photograph of a tree in Autumn, while in Philadelphia. Maybe the group exhibition we are planning might pull through, but no one knows for sure. 

Mornings, I used to be a part of a run group, but the timing and lack of sleep combined with the humidity brought everything to a screeching halt. It happens every time. This is one area where dedication is still required. My eating habits are a lot better now. I have cut down on unnecessary binge eating, which adds to unwanted calories. Eating mindfully, savouring each bite is also important. So I chew and eat slowly rather than gulping down food. My colleague has challenged me to a fitness routine that involves intermittent fasting, giving up coffee which is as difficult as quitting smoking. Two months ago, even without the exercise regimen, just with a slightly demanding diet, I was told I rocked the look. A month's break recovering from a viral fever and vacation killed it in no time. I am back to square one. So I'm taking up this challenge not to prove my colleague wrong, but tell myself as much as I am a foodie, I can still have a regulated moderate eating pattern. I think it is important to acknowledge certain quirks of your personality before you can even start making the change. 

I just had two Karachi biscuits and a block of home made chocolate. I need to learn to say No. So plan from tonight is to go easy on carbs and load up on protein with a 40 minute moderate work out. Let's see how it pans out. I am also considering gifting myself a fitbit to keep a 10,000 step goal, which roughly works out to 7 km everyday. 

Next on the agenda is zeroing in my trek for this year. Last year it was the beautiful Valley of Flowers in Uttarakand, and this year it could be Hampta pass in Kullu or Roopkund in Garhwal, Himalayas. One of my lifetime goals is to visit the mountains on a trek every year. I also met likeminded friends from my trek last year. It remains one of the most life changing moments.

Make Good Art.

No comments: