Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Old World Charm: A homely Chinese fare at Rangis'

I have heard of Rangis, but never made it to the restaurant until fate would have it. I was dog tired shopping my business trip. By lunch time, I was delirious and craving for Chinese cuisine. My friend decided to surprise my taste buds by taking me to this humble restaurant tucked away in Nungambakam. This lovely haunt has been around for years and has seen people come and go across generations. 

For starters, we had a lovely clear soup replete with Mushrooms and spring onions. It was absolutely delicious. It was a simple soup, but the flavours knocked it right out of the park. 

I also ordered my all time favourite spring rolls. It was done to perfection, not too oily and had a great crunch vegetable stuffing. With the chilly sauce to give it that spicy touch, it was irresistible.


For the main course, we ordered some lovely crispy fried noodles served along with vegetable manchurian gravy. I promise you, the aroma and the flavour will make you come back for more and more. The quantity was perfect for two. 

Service was excellent. We did not have to wait too long for our piping hot orders. When you step in, you will find a minimalistic decor as well as limited number of tables. If you must wait to be seated especially on weekends, then it is well worth the wait for its price, quantity and quality of food. What I really loved was the earthiness of the place. I felt at home.

I don't remember how much the bill for two was, but I do remember telling my friend how surprised I was with the nominal pricing for such a lovely fare. You get both vegetarian as well non-vegetarian options and I think they do home delivery as well.

Rangis's is located at 142 Utthamar Gandhi Salai on Nungambakam High Road. They can be reached at 044 65192344 or 42144933.

I cant wait to go back there one more time.


No comments: