Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sinful Morning

I woke up at an ungodly hour of 5.30 am today. What was even more unexpected, was my bedtime got pushed back to  11.00pm. I usually sleep by 12.00. It was a long day with a series of calls and meetings eating into my entire day and I was only too happy to hop on the train and head home.


After our usual walk, I decided to make stir fry veggies with tofu sprinkled with salted peanuts and sunflower seeds. It turned out so well, but the excitement got the better of me and I managed to kill the taste by adding too much of flattened rice. I forced myself to finish the entire meal and forgot to cook for lunch. I usually cook the previous night since I leave at 7.30am for work.

Just because I have been walking the last two days, I felt fit and ready to eat anything. So I decided to treat myself to honey wheat bread toast open, with salsa, topped with Kraft cheese over which a layer of fresh stir fry veggies were added. I loved it. The stir fry was spicy. This was balanced by the cheese and the cheesiness was cut by the salsa. The toasted honey wheat bread gave the right crunch to the layers. I added a few slices of apples and peaches to the plate which is a good thing. I only wish I had stopped at that. I suddenly remembered the cupcakes freezing in the fridge. T had bought them at a fund raiser sale. The cupcakes were quite dry and T decided to let it go. I was not deterred. I usually dislike heavy icing and remove it before I bite into the cupcake. However, this batch had fantastic icing, not too sugary or creamy, and countered the dryness of the cupcake beautifully. So I have been munching on one everyday. However, for lunch I just had a box of stir-fried veggies with tofu.

I met one of my colleagues who was also a nutrition. We got talking and he asked me about my morning breakfast. His face had a look of disgust when the cupcakes were mentioned and the cup of coffee in my hand did not help either. I feel guilty now.

How in the world will I knock off any calories if I do not watch what I eat and work out more. 

That's it - No more cupcakes and coffee. More walks and boiled veggies is the mantra. Plus fruits. Works?

No comments: