Sunday, September 25, 2011

Don Pepe's Tex Mex

After much consideration, Chops and I decided to do a quick lunch at Tex Mex.

I had been there was a good couple of years ago, with Vee, Zena, and Moushumi. It was a good choice and of course nostalgic for me. It is also funny that we should finally land up at Tex Mex, because I have passed by this restaurant almost every day on my way home from work, and I had always desired to drop in once for lunch. And boom, one day you actually find yourself in that place without intending to do so - almost sounds like destiny.


I am a soup addict. For me, any meal is incomplete if I have not tried a soup of the day, even if the rest of the courses are out of the world. We ordered a Soup De Torte, which a tomato based soup, with beans, spring onions, garnished with tortillas and cheese. It was divine.

For starters, we ordered the stuffed potato skins. (I forget the actual name of the dish.) Along with it, you are served sour cream, tobasco sauce and salsa. A little tip to enhance the flavour of your dish is to add a bit of tobasco to all your dishes. The dish is a like a deep fried jacket potato, that is scooped out, and stuffed with veggies with cheese on top, and baked. Though it as a tad bland, the overall presentation and flavor was excellent.

In spite of knowing, we were asking for trouble with the main course, we went ahead and bravely ordered Tex Mex's Special enchiladas. We were so stuffed by this time, we were not sure if we would be able to get through the specials, which was expected to be twice as heavy. The dish was absolutely fantastic, but after two mouthfuls, both of us wisely decided to pack the rest and move on to the dessert.

Not really a wise move. I was so enamored by the idea of a flambe, since I had never seen one, that even with a trouser splitting at the seams, I ordered it. The presentation was so nice and sweet on a Sunday afternoon. The pineapple flambe, after it is cut and served, should give out a smoky taste with a hint of alcohol, but to my disappointment, I found neither, when I bit into a juicy piece of pineapple with high expectations. I also missed my old favorite, the sizzling brownie served with a scoop of ice cream.

The pricing is alright. We shared all the dishes and the bill came up to Rs. 1200 with service tax included. The ambiance is alright, but the place has shrunk in terms of space from what I can remember. Moreover, the food tasted more Indian rather than authentic mexican food. Infact, I don't think a Mexican menu is complete without their famous tamales. The chef should look up authentic recipes and revise the menu and beef up the vegetarian list.

Overall, I really enjoyed my lunch at Tex Mex and of course, the company was fun. Tex Mex is located at 73, Cathedral road, Gopalapuram, Chennai. You can call them at 044 28110413.

No comments: