Friday, July 22, 2011

Master Chef: Disaster Series

Yes, you know that I have been bitten by the cooking-baking bug. I have been trying quite a few recipes at home in the late evenings and so far, I have been enjoying it to the hilt. However, I have had my share of kitchen disasters and sometimes, a certain host-guest combo might just be jinxed. 

This post has been in the draft state for a very very long time and I finally decided to publish it.

Last year, trying to impress my finicky, but lovable guest was the start of a disastrous venture. I am not the pasta, cream cheese kind. I mean I love continental, but I don't really relish it every night for dinner. I am hooked to simple rotis, dal, paneer, and some tangy salad or just go Mediterenean all the way!

Maybe, this particular guest-host combo was jinxed. Last time it was the Pitle which came out like a lump of dal. This time, the noodles topped with vegetables and a spicy sauce, which was what I originally had in mind, came out like mashed noodles. I was on the verge of tears, and I still feel embarrassed about it.

I dint get pasta from any of the stores near my house, and I decided to buy Hakka noodles instead. I had boiled and noodles and washed it under cold water. But time was running out and I needed to get the main course done, except that I should have realized I could have put the sauce and the noodles together when we were done with the starters and the chit-chat. 

But I dint. 

Instead, I proceeded to add the half drained noodles to my sauce and once it was cooked, added mozzarella on top and allowed it to cook slowly until the cheese melted and presented an appetizing look. All I needed to do, as my friend smugly put it, was dump the noodles in the fridge, to firm it up. Worse still, until I told him it was noodles, he assumed that it was the spaghetti gone wrong!

Image: Copyrighted to AquaM, Fruit Cobbler

No comments: