Sunday, July 24, 2011

Baking Basics and Luncheon at the Artist's House

Bharu stayed overnight yesterday. After she finished her online music classes, we caught up with a long long chat until she was too tired to talk anymore. She and her sister along with their mother had been invited for lunch to their friend's place, who was also known to me. The friend's sister takes baking and painting classes. I had been asking her to take a class in the basics of baking and it coincided with the luncheon. So I decided to surprise my friend and her family by getting there for class and popping up when they arrive. The surprise fell flat because I underestimated Bharu's memory. I usually walk, cycle, or drive to their house. So I was quite confident that she wont recognize my bike and that was my downfall.

We baked a plum cake, which we later burnt because we were all so busy talking we forgot about the poor cake getting all smoked. However, the Trifle pudding cake was a huge hit and the plain cake was a lovely chocolate brown shade. I learnt the cut and fold method which is a must know for making the cake batter. V also gave me a few tips about mixing ingredients and getting the proportions right. I plan to buy a blender shortly. Apart from being an excellent cook, V is also a good artist. She takes classes for both adults and kids throughout the week. I plan to learn some small art work from her soon. I am thinking, maybe nib painting and murals.

V's mom had made a fantastic lunch comprising roasted potatoes in chick pea flour, bissi bela huli, boondi-paneer raita, and fried pappads from a particular vegetable. The highlight of the course was the mouth watering adai prathaman that is a famous kerala recipe. I was too tired to eat, so I just nibbled on the food. Then we all chatted for the rest of the afternoon between the baking sessions, which was when the plum cake got burnt. Nevertheless, we went ahead and had the trifle pudding and masala chai. I had a lovely time with the entire family.Then I got back completely exhausted, rested for a while, uploaded all the pictures from the photoshoot, and then headed for the temple. I made it a short breezy walk and got home in time for a lovely dinner of rotis, palak paneer, and aloo bhaaji.

Now I am looking forward to the vegetable carving session at DakshinaChitra next weekend and MasterChef Australia Season 3 from August 2. Yes, my favorite program is back and I cannot get enough of the show.

Before the Monday blues set in, I am going to crash and before that..RIP Amy Winehouse

Images: Copyrighted to AquaM

No comments: