Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?

Dr. Spencer Johnson's, 'Who Moved My Cheese?' is one of the most exaggerated best sellers I have ever read. I honestly do not believe in picking up such books authored by the gurus who seem to know the answer to all your problems. It was however curiosity that prompted me to buy the literature including the 'i highly recommend it' phrase from a few of my colleagues.

Boy, was I disappointed! Like most of his critics, I must agree that Dr.Johnson has not said anything different or new that we would not already know. It is plain common sense. Change is constant. You either adapt or lose the game. Depending on your goals, that is what you want, where you want to be, you need to revisit your thinking, strategy, and execution. You don't need four ridiculous characters, two mice and two humans to deliver the crux of your subject.

I was groaning in dismay by the time I reached the last page of the book. The man is certainly lucky to have a best seller on this hand or rather people are desperate for solutions that they resort to anything even when the solution lies right in front of them.

However, I will certainly recommend 'The One Minute Manager' - an idealistic concept these days, but if there are organisations and upcoming managers who would like to evolve as good leaders, this book can certainly offer you a few pointers!

No comments: