Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Skeleton Woman (2009)

For a very long time, Vee and I had been having a communication debate about how it is important to stay in touch constantly, while I believed that between friends, its all given. It did not matter that I did not call you as often or see you as often, but have tried my best to be there when you needed me. Maybe, that was the twisted Aquarian brain speaking.


The Theatre Fest was underway and I was looking forward to catching up with Vee and Sandy (aah, what fabulous coffee he makes) for The Skeleton Woman. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews about the play and was really unsure of the outcome, and was a little miffed that I had not booked tickets for Medea, the Korean play, which was the last in the series. In the end, it all turned out well.

I really missed both of them. I think it hits you when you really see people face to face and all the memories come rushing back like a torrential rain. I only wish I could knock of two inches from Vee's long legs and give myself the advantage of a little height and a better view of the world. (Not to forget, AFJ, with whom I went to the play.)

The Skeletal Woman was a surprise package. Directed by Nayantara Kotian, written by Kalki Koechlin and Prashanth Prakash, the play keeps you engrossed right from the start with all its humorous elements, philosophy, distractors, and a lot of food for thought. The play opens with a young man on a boat at sea, obsessed with the fishes that captures his thoughts --- The writer and his unfinished stories. His wife, represents reality, tries to go with his imagination hoping to join the dots and bring it to successful conclusion -- give him a sense of completeness, possibly give his restless mind a sense of peace.

All the sharks, the fishes, the talking goose, maybe represented the writer's state of mind - Wandering, constantly searching, looking for answers. Sometimes, there are no answers. You are just a goose at sea. The thoughts are all that you carry with you that gives it shape and hope, but not completion.

The two actors carried the show superbly from start to finish, and wasted not a moment on stage! The props were creative, eco friendly maybe, and the lighting, especially of the sunset at sea was beautiful. Prashanth Prakash is undoubtedly a promising and brilliant actor, and his lithe movements and act had me spellbound.

In some ways, the play reminded me of the movie, Atonement, which moves back and forth between the past and the present in the reverse. More importantly, I had a lot of questions and interpretations to take home with me, which is the hallmark of a good play.

2 comments:

Mo said...

Hey AquaM! That's lovely! Maybe you could add that I was also at the play. :) I am inspired to write my own interpretation of the play.

AquaM said...

Done, and thank you! Looking forward to reading your thoughts..