Monday, July 20, 2009

Bittergourd Fry Aint So Bad!

After a really long long time, I was tempted to try the Bittergourd Fry that my friend, Madhu, had made for lunch today. She makes amazing veggie food, much to my delight! I shower her with genuine compliments for her fantastic culinary skills and encourage her to experiment more. Its a win-win for both of us. She makes great food and I get to be the official taster.

Today it was Bittergourd's turn. I warned Madhu about the range of expressions that this veggie prompts me to deliver. I have had some bitter experience in the past romancing this one. So I was not really up for it. But then I decided, what the heck! "Lemme give it a try, it sure looks terribly tasty."

I had a mouthful apprehensively. Madhu looked at me with a worried expression. But within seconds, I had a huge smile plastered on my face. I had a very happy host who was only too happy to allow me another helping, which prompted me to ask for the recipe.

Method
1. Wash the bittergourd and soak.
2. Rub outside with salt and let it remain for a while.
(This removes the bitterness in the Gourd)
3. Squeeze the gourd to remove the excess water.
4. Deseed the gourd.
5. Chop it all up.
6. In a frying pan, add oil, 2 tbsp oil, pinch of turmeric, chilli powder, and salt to taste.
7. When the oil is hot, add the gourd pieces.
8. And let it fry, let it fry, let it fry!

This amazing vegetable contains vitamin A, B1, B2, and C including minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron, copper and potassium. It helps purify blood tissue, improves digestion, and stimulates the liver.

Bittergourd helps prevent hypertension, eye disorders, neuritis and increases immunity against infections.

Bittergourd Fry Aint So Bad!




5 comments:

Madhu said...

hey babe... ur a darling to put this on ur blog :)))
-Madhu

aquamarine said...

Anytime :D

Nothings aplenty said...

i personally like bitter gourd, and like it bitter. a bitter gourd that aint bitter is no bitter gourd at all.

My dad makes a yummy bitter gourd fry...but he also adds some onions and garlic. but the actual taste ingredient is a squeeze of lime at the end.

so how come you dont post "receipes" on the other blog anymore?

aquamarine said...

Yeah, I miss our ICUS lunch time and esp the Rajma, Upma with coconut garnish...so I know what I am missing.
Maybe, ill just posting recipes in the other blog, now that you asked.
:)

Padmashree said...

I'm not sure how good the bitter gourd fry tasted - but well written blog! I c'd see Soumya and Madhu together exchanging expressions! :)