Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm So Impressed With Myself!

Dinner on weekends is usually my responsibility.
I love cooking and experimenting with food, and entertaining friends. When work is not hectic and if I am not out of my wits, I usually take over the weekend dinner menu. My mom tells me (and so do some of my friends) that I have a hand for cooking and it is very well presented!

Ever since I came back from Tangerine, I wanted to make the Bruschetta at home. The recipe is so darned easy! You need small round bread, chopped tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, mixed herbs, chilli flakes (optional) and salt to taste. You mix the ingredients and set it aside. Toast the bread over some delicious butter, add the topping of tomatoes with mixed herbs on the bread and serve!

It takes just over 10 mins to prepare incase you have surprise guests. To give the bruschetta a zing, I used the regular Niligiris Masala Bread and added grated Cheddar cheese to make it an absolutely simple, mouth watering dish.

I then moved on to my next dish, the Spaghetti with a twist. Since the quantity was too much to handle, I replaced the Spaghetti with the Spinach noodles, which is thicker than the usual noodles, and a little thinner than the traditional Spaghetti.
Other ingredients included, the tomato chilli sauce, chilli flakes, olive oil, soya sauce, 1 tsp sugar, ginger-garlic paste, grated cheddar cheese, and chopped onion.

Boil and drain the noodles. In a wok, heat olive oil, add onions and cook until it turns a golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and mix well. Now add the soya sauce, chilli sauce, salt, sugar and mix well until the mixture starts to bubble. Add a portion of the grated cheese to the simmering mixture. Now throw in the noodles and mix well. Before serving, garnish with cheddar cheese.

For dessert, for my mom, I had bought London Diary's Chocochip cookie icecream, served with dates marinated in honey! I settled for some juicy slices of the sweet yellow watermelon and a slice of mango.

I must say that I was really impressed with the presentation and the lip smacking dinner that I managed to whip up so quickly. If I am not working, then I know what I would be doing - run a small cozy restaurant with a variety of vegetarian cuisines from across the globe!

5 comments:

Accidental Fame Junkie said...

This sounds lovely! When am I invited to a dinner like this? I just came back from a really bad pasta at amethyst. :( I think one needs to order only beverages, tapas, and dessert at amethyst. :(

aquamarine said...

Will do AFJ, will do!
:D

I. said...

Mouth watering i sit. planning a trip to chennai.:)

supernova said...

Very impressive! As someone who really almost abhors cooking, you're a delight to know! :-)

Quirky Quill said...

my kitchen awaits your arrival :)