Sunday, April 26, 2009

Robert Redford is Just Class Act

I could go on about Robert Redford forever, and I suspect I am not alone in this.
Class Act - That just sums him up!

I don't think there is a better way to describe him. He was one of those naturally gifted guys who can blur the borders between acting and reality, so smoothly, that you would believe it is indeed the real deal. That is what acting is all about.

That's great talent. And that's what makes him a great actor.

I loved him in the Horse Whisperer, a movie that he also directed and starred, along with Kristen Scott Thomas, a fine actor herself. One of my most favourite scenes in the movie is the dance number that Robert and Kristen perform. Wow, what a dance and the chemsitry between the two blows your breath away. Robert conveys so much with his sparkling blue eyes, a range of emotions, so strong, spoken so quietly, but with such sincerity, that you cannot, but, fall in love with him.

I guess he is so aware of himself, and at such ease with his persona that getting into the skin of his character hardly seems a challenge. That speaks for his intelligence.

His movies speak of gentle vulnerable romance, the kind of love that every man and woman desire, but sometimes can never have. In the slowdance number with Kristen, neither of them utter a word, yet in a crowded room full of strangers, these two people perform the dance of love with such depth of feeling that you would never want the dance to end, as much as the characters themselves.

For such a good looking guy, an Indecent Proposal was hardly necessary! Demi Moore looked absolutely gorgeous in that movie and the perfect pair for Robert. His quick warm and easy smile, combined with a crinkling of his deep blue eyes when he looks at you, is a sheer killer. Not to forget, his fantastic layered hair cut, that defines his face cut!

Well, that did it for me. I have been hooked since then.

But, its not just romance. It is also about the great strength of character that Robert exudes in his movies, be it the Gen in the Last Castle, or the cocky billionaire businessman in Indecent Proposal or as the Horse Whisperer, or as the CIA agent with a conscience in Spy Game.

Like I already said, I could go on forever, but I am putting the brakes right here, lest there is nothing left for your imagination or what if it gets cloyingly sweet! I would not want to turn away potential Redford admirers and kill them with an overdose of the Redford charm.

I would rather you watch his movies and nod your head in agreement and say - She was right!

No comments: