Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It dosen't pay to be nice!

Chennai is knee deep in water once again. Some schools have shut down and people are already busy concocting their innovative excuses for not wanting to work. But not me.
I was desperately trying to reach my workspot by hook or croook. I then realised that the Chennai auto chaps were bigger crooks, so I ruled out that option. But God was on my side, or so I thought. The buses were quite empty and I was absolutely confident that I would be spared the agony of walking through the blackish-gray matter on the road.
As I neared my destination, I saw people do their balancing act. Desperate faces, holding on to thier lunch baskets and bags on one hand, and clutching their designer wear on the other, swimming through the flood of cold-muck stained water, precariously balancing thier already twisted bodies. I soon joined thier ranks.
But I could not brave the waters. I hunted down my victim after a careful scrutiny. A gentleman in his 30's with a kindly look, I think, was the chosen one. I was standing next to the traffic cop making ugly faces. I suppose the cop had seen me a couple of times before and we sympathised with each other. He was trying to divert the traffic standing for hours in the ice-cold water. I sported a sad face, and asked my victim as he passed by, "Sir, please give me a ride to the next stop".
Our man was completely taken aback. I was almost ready to jump on to his bike and make myself comfortable. It was out of sheer courtesy that I decided to wait until he replied. Instead, the victim chose to look at the cop, the cop looked at me and I looked at both of them. Finally, the cop gave the, "Go ahead" and I could see a sense of relief that rushed through the victim's face. He was in the clear. But what he did not anticipate was my little dance, which was only an effort to sit on his bike. I clutched the man's shoulders, shook the bike, swung my leg in the air when I noticed that he had a metal-box like attachment on the side of his bike. Now, that complicated matters for me. I had to do some gymnastics and stretch my leg so that I could dangle my leg over the metalbox. I was pretty sure that my victim was suffering in silence.
He immediately asked, "Where is your stop, Madam?" and I pointed out the landmark. He tried to get there as soon as possible, but the knee deep water slowed him down. Finally, I embarked. I did that little dance once again. Thanked my victim.
My harrowed friend disappeared and I haven't seen him since.

10 comments:

Rita said...

Liar, liar! You did not address him 'Sir', did you? Lol!

aquamarine said...

No re, I actually did,,,(grinning), dat was the least i could do for that poor soul

:)
AquaM

still_figuring_out said...

LOL. ilove love love it! i would never dare to approach a "sir" on the road and ask for a ride, whatmore if he drove a bike!

aquamarine said...

This gentleman qualified for a 'Sir' by virture of his age...sumwhere between 30-40ish...i think
:)))))
AquaM

My Ramblings... said...

U r too much! The poor man.:)

aquamarine said...

he he!!
:)
AquaM

Mrudula said...

Hahahahaha. This is too much!

aquamarine said...

lol...yeah mru..

AquaM

ashwin sundar said...

Y did he look at the cop for getting the signal to launch u on his bike?oh ur own moral police huh got it

aquamarine said...

COps are revered around here...dats why!!
:)
AquaM